- Easy fast french fries made from scratch! These are the best fries you will ever have.
- Season them to your taste - salt & pepper? Curry? Cayenne and chili powder. Fresh garlic. Grated parmesan. Spicy mustard. No matter how you trick out these chips, they're guaranteed delicious.
STEP 1 MATERIALS:
Potatoes - 1 per person is more than enough!
1qt/ltr cooking oil - peanut oil is best
Seasonings - I just used salt, but this is where you can get creative!
Knife for cutting
Colander for rinsing
Pot for frying
STEP 2 CUT POTATOES
- If you plan to keep the skins on (why wouldn't you!), scrub the potatoes well.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4" fry shapes. Or fatter if you like "steak fries." I like em skinny and crisp!
- Rinse cut potatoes in a large bowl with lots of cold running water until water becomes clear.
- Cover with water by 1-inch and cover with ice. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- In a large pan (or an electric deep fryer), heat oil over medium-low heat.
- If you have a candy thermometer (recommended), heat until the thermometer registers 325 degrees F.
- Make sure that you have at least 3 inches of space between the top of the oil and the top of the pan, as the oil will bubble up when the fries are added.
- Drain ice water from cut fries and wrap potato pieces in a clean tea towel and thoroughly pat dry.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add fries, a handful at a time, to the hot oil.
- Fry, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are soft and limp, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Using a skimmer or a slotted spoon, carefully remove fries from the oil and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Let rest for at least 10 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- When ready to serve the French fries, reheat the oil to 350 degrees F.
- Transfer the blanched potatoes to the hot oil and fry again, stirring frequently, until they reach desired brownness, 1-5 minutes. I like em almost burnt, so I left them in pretty long.
- Transfer to paper towels again and sprinkle with seasoning to taste. Serve immediately.
- So so very yummy.
HOW TO COOK HAMBURGERS :